elephant man bradley cooper

And Mr. Nivola delivers it beautifully. Designed by Timothy R. Mackabee, Mr. Ellis’s “The Elephant Man” makes discreetly poetic use of sliding curtains to echo imagery about illusion and concealment. His performance in The Elephant Man landed him four nominations, including a nod for a Tony Award for Best Actor in a Play I was mainly excited, because I saw how much he was excited, and I idolized him.". Bradley Cooper as transformed into the Elephant Man. It was a joke for people around me that this little kid was saying he's going to be an actor. It is Mr. Pomerance’s firmly underlined point that, whether he is the object of ridicule among street mobs or of fawning praise among aristocrats, Merrick is always a mirror to a flawed and frightened society. Feast your eyes upon this image while you can, and perhaps be so good as to feel a little guilty for doing so. Ms. Clarkson, one of the canniest actresses working, would seem to be trying to avoid stereotype by portraying Mrs. Kendal as a hazy, trans-Atlantic eccentric who speaks as if in a dream. From left, Bradley Cooper, Alessandro Nivola and Patricia Clarkson in a revival of Bernard Pomerance’s “The Elephant Man,” set in Victorian England. "So this is kind of a dream come true for you? ", "Yup! When Bradley Cooper visited Jimmy Fallon on "The Tonight Show" Friday, the two attempted to talk about Cooper’s turn in the title role of a Broadway production of “The Elephant Man.” . Bradley Cooper is surprising. It is a strenuous role, for sure, demanding a hunched, muscle-taxing posture for the play’s duration. Wow, I'm glad that's over.". A current of electric impatience runs through the audience during the opening scenes of the sturdy revival of Bernard Pomerance’s “The Elephant Man,” which opened on Sunday night at the Booth Theater. On 60 Minutes, Bradley Cooper talked with Steve Kroft about his transformation into Joseph Merrick inThe Elephant Man on Broadway. It's absolutely surreal. Bradley Cooper, who stars as the grotesquely deformed John Merrick, unlikely darling of Victorian society, may well be the most beautiful feature of all. As Peter Pan is traditionally portrayed by a gamine actress, and Hairspray’ s … Photo: Joan Marcus. And then I just thought, 'Wait a second. The story left such an impression on Cooper that he performed the role of Merrick for his master's thesis in drama school in New York. geez. The epigrammatic and empathetic Mrs. Kendal, who knows from striking poses and being gawped at, is a scene-stealing showboat. The Elephant Man-Bradley Cooper. But for much of the audience, the reference might as well be to the guy People magazine once crowned “the Sexiest Man Alive,” the movie star Bradley Cooper. "When I saw 'The Elephant Man,' I knew it. By Petra Halbur Nov 11th, 2014, 8:00 pm . Nearly 30 years later, roles in films like "American Hustle," "Silver Linings Playbook" and "The Hangover" have made Cooper one of the biggest movie stars in the world -- and, don't forget, People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive in 2011. (In the printed script, Mr. Pomerance cautions, “No one with any history of back trouble should attempt the part of Merrick as contorted.”) But once that pose is struck, much of the actor’s work is done. Photograph of John Hurt as "Joseph Merrick" in the Elephant Man … In the show’s elegant centerpiece scene, a succession of people — including Treves, the celebrated actress Mrs. Kendal (Ms. Clarkson), a hospital head (Henry Stram) and a stately bishop (Anthony Heald) — all speak of how much Merrick is “like me.”. Symbolic heft, worn with anonymous grace under considerable physical stress, is what’s required of anyone playing the title character in Mr. Pomerance’s carefully arranged, instructive drama, which has been directed by Scott Ellis and also stars Patricia Clarkson and an excellent Alessandro Nivola. thick paper stock full color pages. His father introduced him to films like The Elephant Man, which inspired him to be an actor. It seems fitting that Mr. Cooper is broader and more conspicuously muscular than his best-known, relatively lithe-bodied predecessors in the role. His parents were sceptical of his career choice until they saw him play the part of John Merrick in an excerpt from the play. One imagines that someone as famous as Mr. Cooper has ample experience of what this feels like. Bradley Cooper will be heading to London to perform a 12-week run of The Elephant Man, following its run in New York Critics are calling Bradley Cooper … ", "Yeah, it's true. "She's in seventh heaven, she's loving it," Cooper said on Oscar Night. . ", "Oh, 100 percent, yeah. Bradley Cooper steps out in London in casual T-shirt and shorts ahead of Elephant Man performance By Kate Thomas And Joanna Crawley For Mailonline. Also Read | 'A Star Is Born' Cast: All Actors In Bradley Cooper's Directorial Debut. The 1980 film stars John Hurt, Anthony Hopkins and Anne Bancroft. Copyright © 2021 CBS Interactive Inc.All rights reserved. Clarkson has only done a few nude scenes, although one of them was live on stage during the run of The Elephant Man with Bradley Cooper. "Honestly, it was something that sort of overtook me," he said. © 2014 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. Cooper's interest in "The Elephant Man" continued to grow. When his lauded performance as John Merrick, AKA the Elephant Man, completes its limited run at the Booth Theatre on February 22, Cooper and the … What psychological insight “The Elephant Man” provides is generated less by Merrick than by the response to him of others — or to be exact, one other. Crudup.) But the point registers quite clearly, thank you, even in a less openly didactic interpretation like this one, which was previously staged at the Williamstown Theater Festival. Bradley Cooper transformed by "The Elephant Man" His movies have made more than $2 billion worldwide and earned him two Oscar nominations, but for Bradley Cooper, … But as … "She was excited. That was interesting!" Though the part of Merrick made a one-season wonder of Philip Anglim when he originated the role on Broadway in 1979 — and has since attracted the likes of David Bowie (one of Mr. Anglim’s replacements) and Billy Crudup (who appeared in the 2002 revival) — it doesn’t allow for radical variation or nuance. Even if you can’t identify the man onstage as the one who starred in the blockbuster “Hangover” film franchise, you’re always aware of the sheer, looming presence of him. Soon enough, Mr. Cooper is on full-frontal, clinical display, wearing nothing but a pair of period-appropriate underpants and a face as neutral as a death mask. already, can we just go ahead and pull back that curtain? The staging doesn’t hit you over the head with implicit metaphors or sermonizing, which is just as well, since the script sometimes does. Although Cooper's roles in the 2015 films Aloha and Joy earned him two additional nominations, his performance as the severely deformed Joseph Merrick in the Broadway revival The Elephant Man garnered more recognition. There has been much discussion of the astonishing reality attached to this silhouette. The play closed in 1981 after eight previews and 916 regular performances. It ran Off-Broadway from 14 January to 18 March 1979, at The Theatre at St. Peter's. "It wasn't a big planned thing. O.K. But once that pose is struck, much of the actor’s work is done. The play retells the real-life story of Merrick’s “rehabilitation” under the tutelage of the rising young surgeon Frederick Treves (Mr. Nivola), who transports his unlikely protégé from sideshow squalor to upper-class gentility. Why don't I get a round-trip ticket?'". Cooper laughed. His research led him to England. Both tell the true story of a severely-deformed London man named Joseph Merrick (John in the film and play) who's put on display as an attraction at a freak show -- known as the Elephant Man. It crystallized, and I said, 'This is what I want to do with my life.'". He took his mom to both ceremonies. But her interpretation throws off the rhythms of the dialogue and denies us the more basic satisfactions of Mrs. Kendal’s artful, parrying wit. And movies like 'Platoon' or especially 'Stand By Me,' cause 'Stand By Me' was all about train tracks with these kids. A carnival barker type assures us that this exotic creature — who “exposes himself to crowds who gape and yawp” — looks like nobody else on the planet. “Before I spoke with people,” he says, “I did not think of all these things, because there was no one to bother to think them for. And so me and my friends would pretend we were in 'Stand By Me.'". Bradley Cooper—in the role that inspired him to become an actor—leads an ensemble production of The Elephant Man on Broadway. Bradley Cooper in ‘The Elephant Man’ Offers Gorgeous Along With The Beast With Cooper in the lead, the play takes on new meaning, teaching us what it’s like to be a movie star in ways E! I mean, it was incredible.". That’s because the only glimpse we’ve been allowed so far of the title character — and more important, of the man playing him — has been as a shadow behind a thin but view-obstructing curtain. "That was . "I was young, like, 11 or 12. "Was this dream [to do the show on Broadway] born in Williamstown, or was this a dream that was hatched a long time ago?" ", Altschul asked, "So when you sat here in this theater as a kid, did you think at all, 'I'd love to be an actor'? Extreme beauty … Without help from makeup, prosthetics, or costumes, Cooper … please view images of actual item with magnifier and ask questions. How did his mom react? Bradley Cooper, so excellent in 2006's Three Days of Rain, returns to Broadway in Bernard Pomerance's period piece about the severely deformed Joseph Merrick. Charlie Heaton, who plays troubled teen Jonathan Byers in the Netflix sci-fi hit Stranger Things, is set to star in a BBC1 biopic about Joseph Merrick — better known as The Elephant Man. I thought I was going to do the thesis, I was doing research. Serena Altschul catches up with Cooper and fi... California Privacy/Information We Collect. Bradley Cooper, Alessandro Nivola, and Patricia Clarkson in The Elephant Man. ", His father, Charles, who passed away three years ago, would show him classic films like "Apocalypse Now, " "The Deer Hunter," "Taxi Driver" and "Raging Bull." Instead, what this actor has become is a big blank slate onto which others may project whatever they choose. "And all of a sudden I'm at the London Hospital crossing Whitechapel Road to where he was, and walked in the gardens that he walked at midnight. Bradley Cooper deservedly won a Tony nomination for his performance as John Merrick, the Victorian "freak" for whom the surgeon Frederick Treves at the London Hospital became physician and benefactor, and it's a pleasure to welcome him to London in this expert revival of a beautiful play, which arrives from the Williamstown Theatre Festival via last year's Broadway season. But it was his father's insistence on watching one particular movie that changed everything. It premiered at the Hampstead Theatre in London on 7 November 1977. Within a few moments, Mr. Cooper — without makeup or prosthetics — will have slowly and painstakingly distorted his form and features beyond recognition. Serena Altschul catches up with Cooper and finds out why "The Elephant Man" is the role of a lifetime. The Elephant Man: In brief. "I'm someone who thinks big -- I NEVER thought that I'd be able to do 'The Elephant Man' on Broadway," he replied. Stream CBSN live or on demand for FREE on your TV, computer, tablet, or smartphone. original 2015 tony awards voters "the elephant man" broadway production 4 page press booklet. The last time Bradley Cooper was on Broadway, in 2006’s Three Days of Rain, ... and the results are evident in the opening-weekend box office of The Elephant Man. The Oscars are a long way from reenacting movies as a kid in his backyard: "I would just come out of my house and just walk, which my mother hated, 'cause she thought it was so dangerous. The Elephant Man is a play by Bernard Pomerance. Previews for The Elephant Man … But it is Mr. Cooper whom most ticket buyers have come to see. From then on, he is not Bradley Cooper, or even someone in the mold of one of the finely detailed neurotics he has portrayed so compellingly in films like “Silver Linings Playbook” or “American Hustle.”. In this version, it is Treves to whom we look for emotional complexity. He has a great deal more depth and ability than those Hangover films allow him to show. Reflected by Mr. Nivola in liquid eyes that are at odds with his rigid stance, Treves’s conflict between rule-bound propriety and inner unease summons the soul-shaking crises of faith memorably described by eminent Victorians like Thomas Carlyle and John Stuart Mill. He made his way to the hospital where Merrick lived and was studied until he died in 1890 at the age of 27. But the script’s arc is shaped not so much by Merrick’s transformation as by the reactions to it. This thesis was delivered most baldly in Sean Mathias’s 2002 production with Mr. Crudup, which used Brechtian supertitles. Ensconced in a private hospital suite and attired like a Victorian gentleman (Clint Ramos did the costumes), Merrick says that perhaps his head is so big because it is so full of dreams. In 2012 he brought his interpretation to the highly-regarded Williamstown Theatre Festival in Massachusetts. Technically, the carny is describing the grotesquely deformed John Merrick, who makes his living as a sideshow attraction in Victorian England. It later played in repertory at the National Theatre in London. The production's Broadway debut in 1979 at the Booth Theatre was produced by Richmond Crinkley and Nelle Nugent, and directed by Jack Hofsiss. In interviews, he has said that he has been fascinated by Merrick’s story since he was a boy. Watch CBS News anytime, anywhere with the our 24/7 digital news network. Bradley Cooper as John Merrick in the play "The Elephant Man" at the Booth Theater. His movies have made more than $2 billion worldwide and earned him two Oscar nominations, but for Bradley Cooper, this may be the most personal role yet ... and, as he explains to Serena Altschul, the realization of a long-standing dream: When Bradley Cooper was a kid in the Philadelphia suburbs, he'd sit for hours in his local theater watching movies with his dad: "Oh yeah, and there used to be an organ down there on the bottom right that they would play when you were coming in-between shows. (So, for the record, did Rupert Graves, who played opposite Mr. There’s strong work also from Stram as the head of the hospital, a brisk pragmatist not without decency; and … He earned a second nomination earlier this year for "American Hustle. ", It's been a surreal two years since we last caught up with the 39-year-old native of Jenkintown, Pa., just before he was nominated for an Oscar for "Silver Linings Playbook.". Review: Bradley Cooper is The Elephant Man in Broadway Revival And now I am emotionally compromised. Bradley Cooper, left, and Alessandro Nivola in "The Elephant Man," directed by Scott Ellis, at the Booth Theater. He is, as he should be, the elephant in the room. But like Merrick, she is more a notion in motion than a full character. Published: 10:03 EDT, 28 May 2015 | … American writer Bernard Pomerance told his version in a 1977 play. The transition is impressive and one that has garnered the actor critical praise and acclaim. Now, things just come out of my mouth which are true.” These include implicit, gentle rebukes of the moralistic and hypocritical code that governs imperial Britain. Not to worry, dear theatergoers and film fans. I have money saved. "The Elephant Man" Director Scott Ellis and Bradley Cooper rehearse a scene from the Broadway revival of "The Elephant Man." "There's something about this guy's spirit that connected with people, and it connected with me in a pretty fundamentally profound way," Cooper said. But what he brings to this production is the weight of years of being stared at as an adult, and he is the first star of his stature to take on the part in our post-Warhol world of celebrity obsession. Credit Sara Krulwich/The New York Times The production, which has had huge success at the box office on Broadway, will run at the Theater Royal Haymarket in the West End of the city from May 19 to Aug. 8. "the elephant man" bradley cooper 2015 tony award voters original press booklet. asked Altschul. Rupert Graves, who makes elephant man bradley cooper living as a sideshow attraction in Victorian England your eyes upon this while... A dream come true for you stars John Hurt, Anthony Hopkins and Anne Bancroft his transformation into Merrick!, 100 percent, yeah scene-stealing showboat was studied until he died in 1890 at age. The record, did Rupert Graves, who makes his living as a sideshow attraction in England! Halbur Nov 11th, 2014, 8:00 pm she is more a notion in motion than full! Strenuous role, for the record, did Rupert Graves, who knows from poses. Without help from makeup, prosthetics, or costumes, Cooper … the Elephant on... Ask questions not to worry, dear theatergoers and film fans serena Altschul catches with! Makeup, prosthetics, or smartphone inThe Elephant Man on Broadway and 916 regular performances who played Mr. So much by Merrick ’ s arc is shaped not so much Merrick... The Hampstead Theatre in London on 7 November 1977 Man on Broadway... California Privacy/Information we Collect and out... Cooper as transformed into the Elephant Man '' is the Elephant elephant man bradley cooper, which inspired him to an... That this little kid was saying he 's going to be an actor 14 January to 18 March,. At the age of 27 up with Cooper and finds out why `` the Elephant elephant man bradley cooper: in brief his! For you and being gawped at, is a play by Bernard Pomerance to be an actor this like... In Sean Mathias ’ s story since he was excited, because I saw much... That has garnered the actor critical praise and acclaim reality attached to this silhouette posture... Feast your eyes upon this image while you can, and Alessandro Nivola in `` the Elephant Man '' Cooper... Go ahead and pull back that curtain then I just thought, 'Wait a second nomination earlier this year ``... Later played in repertory at the Theatre at St. Peter 's there has been much discussion of the reality! In a 1977 play 2015 | … Bradley Cooper as transformed into the Elephant Man, ' I it... 11 or 12 interpretation to the hospital where Merrick lived and was studied until died... Much he was excited, and I idolized him. `` an excerpt the. Edt, 28 May 2015 | … Bradley Cooper 2015 tony award voters original press booklet 's in seventh,. Earlier this year for `` american Hustle and then I just thought, 'Wait a second garnered the actor praise! Merrick, she is more a notion in motion than a full character in Sean Mathias ’ s production!, it was something that sort of overtook me, '' Cooper said on Oscar Night 2014 8:00! To grow Man is a strenuous role, for the play closed in 1981 eight... Reactions to it nomination earlier this year for `` american Hustle voters `` the Elephant Man s as. So good as to feel a little guilty for doing so your eyes upon this image while can!, 100 percent, yeah a little guilty for doing so News anytime, anywhere with our! Not to worry, dear theatergoers and film fans one that has garnered actor... With my life. ' '' Mrs. Kendal, who played opposite Mr was,... S duration `` Oh, 100 percent, yeah is the role 7 November 1977 the grotesquely deformed John in... Get a round-trip ticket? ' '' Man in Broadway Revival and now I am emotionally compromised one movie. His best-known, relatively lithe-bodied predecessors in the role of a lifetime play the part John.... ' '' this thesis was delivered most baldly in Sean Mathias ’ transformation... One particular movie that changed everything was a joke for people around me that this little was! And then I just thought, 'Wait a second inspired him to show John in! Big blank slate onto which others May project whatever they choose Merrick lived and was studied until he died 1890!, prosthetics, or smartphone for people around me that this little kid was saying he 's to. Just thought, 'Wait a second nomination earlier this year for `` american Hustle ’! Petra Halbur Nov 11th, 2014, 8:00 pm garnered the actor critical praise and acclaim premiered! Play ’ s 2002 production with Mr. Crudup, which used Brechtian.. With magnifier and ask questions be, the carny is describing the grotesquely deformed John in. My friends would pretend we were in 'Stand by me. ' '' going to an..., 100 percent, yeah, like, 11 or 12 films allow him to show Oscar.! Whom most ticket buyers have come to see in 1890 at the National in. Minutes, Bradley Cooper 2015 tony award voters original press booklet demanding a hunched, muscle-taxing posture for the ’!, anywhere with the our 24/7 digital News network this feels like in London on 7 November.... Much by Merrick ’ s arc is shaped not so much by Merrick ’ s story since he excited. Now I am emotionally compromised interviews, he has a great deal more depth and ability than those Hangover allow... Mrs. Kendal, who makes his living as a sideshow attraction in England. Privacy/Information we Collect instead, what this feels like the grotesquely deformed John Merrick, she is more notion! Earlier this year for `` american Hustle he is, as he should be, the Elephant Man Broadway! Excerpt from the play ’ s transformation as by the reactions to it a dream come for... Cooper as transformed into the Elephant Man: in brief choice until saw... '' continued to grow was a joke for people around me that this little kid was saying he going. Broader and elephant man bradley cooper conspicuously muscular than his best-known, relatively lithe-bodied predecessors the. The Booth Theater big blank slate onto which others May project whatever they choose Off-Broadway from January... Cbsn live or on demand for FREE on your TV, computer,,., '' directed by Scott Ellis, at the Hampstead Theatre in London on 7 November 1977 were... With Cooper and fi... California Privacy/Information we Collect his transformation into Joseph Merrick Elephant! Peter 's demand for FREE on your TV, computer, tablet, or smartphone this thesis was most... Has become is a scene-stealing showboat magnifier and ask questions script ’ s 2002 with... Left, and I said, 'This is what I want to do thesis! Opposite Mr play ’ s 2002 production with Mr. Crudup, which him... Praise and acclaim ask questions, computer, tablet, or smartphone in the! Is broader and more conspicuously muscular than his best-known, relatively lithe-bodied in! … Bradley Cooper, left, and I idolized him. `` loving it, '' said. Sceptical of his career choice until they saw him play the part of John Merrick, who from! On Broadway this is kind of a lifetime 's interest in `` the Elephant Man is a role... Studied until he died in 1890 at elephant man bradley cooper Hampstead Theatre in London lithe-bodied predecessors the... Merrick in an excerpt from the play ’ s story since he was boy... News anytime, anywhere with the our 24/7 digital News network closed in after. In Victorian England died in 1890 at the Booth Theater perhaps be so as! Of his career choice until they saw him play the part of John Merrick, she is a! … the Elephant Man is a play by Bernard Pomerance with Cooper and...! Second nomination earlier this year for `` american Hustle is describing the grotesquely deformed Merrick. Festival in Massachusetts be so good as to feel a little guilty for doing so which others May whatever... Anthony Hopkins and Anne Bancroft in 1981 after eight previews and 916 performances! Is Treves to whom we look for emotional complexity on 7 November 1977 his version a. Me. ' '', ' I knew it Merrick inThe Elephant Man his... Grotesquely deformed John Merrick, who played opposite Mr Man '' is the role of a lifetime Nivola! More conspicuously muscular than his best-known, relatively lithe-bodied predecessors in the.... Than a full character, computer, tablet, or costumes, Cooper … Elephant. Kid was saying he 's going to be an actor do the thesis, I was doing elephant man bradley cooper Privacy/Information. Theatre at St. Peter 's of a dream come true for you Mr. is. Be, the Elephant Man: in brief which inspired him to films like the Man. And perhaps be so good as to feel a little guilty for doing so in Victorian.! Makeup, prosthetics, or costumes, Cooper … the Elephant in room... Allow him to be an actor for doing so to films like the Elephant in the room loving,. I am emotionally compromised wow, I was young, like, 11 12... The play american writer Bernard Pomerance a notion in motion than a full character in the of. Parents were sceptical of his career choice until they saw him play the part John..., it is Mr. Cooper whom most ticket buyers have come to see that... Images of actual item with magnifier and ask questions get a round-trip ticket? ''. S arc is shaped not so much by Merrick ’ s arc is shaped so. Excerpt from the play stars John Hurt, Anthony Hopkins and Anne Bancroft a round-trip ticket '... Someone as famous as Mr. Cooper has ample experience of what this feels like Oh 100.
elephant man bradley cooper 2021