how to use wood look paint

Colors that occur naturally in real wood are tricky. You can't buy character, but you can fake it with an antique paint finish. Ensure you read the manufacturer guidelines on the right quantity to mix per gallon before adding the paint extender to your paint. I used stain that I had on hand that was close to the same color as the original wood of the gun rack and some white paint that I had on hand. It wouldn’t be realistic. For these types of wood, opt for an oil-based primer and coat both the top and underside of the project surface to help minimize warping. To make the finish look even more aged and rustic, you can lightly buff more coloring agent into the matte paint throughout the entire piece. Applying a second coat of paint will ensure that all the excess coloring has been thoroughly covered and isn't bleeding through, making your end result look more natural. Wipe away any excess. By Manasa Reddigari and Bob Vila. Let dry and seal if necessary. Pour the glaze into a paint pan, and load a synthetic bristle brush (or a roller with a quarter-inch nap roller cover) with the glaze. In an attempt to not get primer on my shop floor I use my rustic wood coffee table to lay down my table for easy access to the feet. Mix your favorite wood color of chalk-based paint with water. High-density foam roller … Use a synthetic bristle brush or paint roller to cover the entire project surface in paint. Paint in Layers. With the project surface primed, you’re ready to apply a base coat of paint that looks like wood. Don't worry if the coloring overlaps onto surrounding paint. Stir well. How to Paint a Door to Look Like Wood. Paint your garage door and your front door to look like real wood with Giani™ Wood Look Paint. Sanding will slough off any upright fibers in the board and level out any bumps. YOU CAN VIEW MY FULL DISCLOSURE HERE. The trick to making wood look realistically weathered is to not overdo it. Take a sheet of fine-grit sandpaper (between 120 and 220) and run it over the MDF. Sand paper (or electric sander if removing a previous finish) Cloth rag or old towel Manasa Reddigari, Bob Vila, 3-D TVs and 10 Other Home Tech Fads That Didn’t Last Long, Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself. I didn’t use outdoor paint because I already had some indoor paint on hand left over from a different project. Copyright © 2021 Acton Media Inc. All rights reserved. Acrylic paint is well-known for its capability to dry up fast. Next, use the sanding block completely remove the existing painted finish or stain in areas that would be prone to heavier wear, like the edges and high points. So I’m sharing today some of my best tips for how to use the Fusion metallic paints to create beautiful and elegant pieces! In a paint mixing jar (view example on Amazon), combine equal parts clear acrylic glaze and a second latex paint pick. To paint ANYTHING look like real wood…. Immediately after wiping the stain from the raw wood, I drag a semi-dry brush with paint over the surface. If painting engineered wood such as MDF, particle board, or plywood, use a sanding block to lightly sand the project surface. When you’re satisfied with your faux wood grain, move on to the main project surface. Next, coat the entire piece of furniture with a thin layer of your selected paint. The thinner the layer, the easier the next steps will be. I use Modern Masters products for this technique, they are high quality and the products are concentrated so I end up using less. It is quite easy to antique a piece of newer wood furniture and make it look distressed by using paint and stain. Apply a coat of acrylic primer and let it dry. Choose sandpaper in the grit range of 120 to 220 for already smooth surfaces like MDF, and start with a medium-grit sandpaper in the grit range of 60 to 100 for coarser engineered woods. Check paint … Layer the Metallics to create a Multi-dimensional Finish. Choose a low-luster latex paint that matches the undertones of the type of wood you want your project to mimic. Once the preliminary sanding is complete, apply wood stain or dark paint as a coloring agent to low spots and areas where wood has been exposed. Next, use the sanding block completely remove the existing painted finish or stain in areas that would … Next, using a wood graining tool, add grain to the “faux planks” on the wall that you’ve taped off. With two shades of latex paint and a simple acrylic glaze, you can apply paint that looks like wood to all of your favorite home accents. Using the two patterns alternately will give a natural wood-grain look. Try to distress areas where a piece of furniture naturally experiences such damage. It comes in a squeezable tube and you can find it in tubes in most any craft store (look in the artists’ acrylics department). Replace the cap on the jar and shake the contents to create a translucent tinted glaze. Allow the glaze to dry completely. Lightly sand the entire surface using a 150-grit sanding block. Not gonna work! Tape off the wall in a wood pattern with mini grout line tape. Unfortunately, such colors don’t exist. Once your first coat is dry, dry brush a rough coat of the dark brown paint. Have you ever bought something new but wished it looked antique? Apply completely over the wood. I use a little chip brush or sponge brush to stain all of the raw wood. Our project used walnut oil, but you can use any type of wood stain or dark paint for similar results. Go back over the paint with a brush. Paint on the watered down paint heavily. Some wood products like MDF tend to absorb water and swell, and they’re also prone to expanding or contracting with changes in temperature. Opt for latex paint that is a similar to, but a few shades darker than, the base coat. For lighter woods like walnut or maple, select a shade of gold or orange. Although it is easily soluble in water in its original form, the paint becomes water-resistant after drying up. Also, if you are working with a piece of unpainted wood furniture, you may opt to use a different color for your second coat, so that more layers show through when you distress the wood. The goal is to get down to the raw surface of the wood so that the coloring agent can penetrate. Straight-edge (not angled) paint brush, at least two inches wide. 2. The second coat should also be applied in a thin layer. This technique will create a soft, blended shadow and add defined rocks to the wall or surface. Gently dab the roller into the paint. Making New Wood Look Old. Lightly sand the entire surface using a 150-grit sanding block. First, remove all hardware and mask off any areas that you don't want to paint, using painter's tape. You must properly prepare the wood and add a clear coat to ensure that the metallic paint adheres properly and lasts for years. Paint your walls a solid color. Now you’ll want to mix the glaze for your faux bois painting technique. How to Paint a Faux Wood Finish. If you’re starting with bare or painted drywall, use a paint roller to apply a latex primer to the wall. In 2014, she joined Dotdash as an expert writer, focused on fine jewelry topics. In an episode of Today’s Homeowner last spring, I helped a homeowner apply a wood-look paint kit* to their garage door and front door. A faux wood finish lets you create the look of almost any type of wood on a surface that is anything but that material. Apply the first layer of finish, satin, semi-gloss or gloss, and allow it to dry. Q: How to make plastic look like wood? Sand just enough to remove any sheen, which will help the paint stick. Your furniture will look much better if you use several light coats rather than a single heavy one. Beachy Table Makeover Using Furniture Paint Now that our table is cleaned, prepped and primed we can get started with our makeover. While the paint is still wet, take a brush and run it over the surface of the furniture, using long, even strokes. Using a 150-grit sanding block, buff down the edges so that the dark areas start to peek through. The best way to apply the coloring agent is with a clean rag. Avoid the temptation to sand excessively. If working with engineered wood, apply white primer to the entire project surface with a natural bristle brush or a paint roller. Then slowly drag the rocker down vertically, rocking the curved head of the tool from the top to bottom through the wet glaze until you reach the opposite end of the project surface. We used the color wash (watered down paint) to adjust a previous stain that hadn’t been finished/sealed but it works with raw wood as well. The next layer of paint will cover this. Start slow and take a step back every so often to evaluate the distressed look. Then I wipe it all off with a paper towel. Chalk paint or milk paint provides a similar sheen, but it may need to be sealed with a wax finish. Before staining, make sure your wood is properly prepared for finishing. Can You Use Acrylic Paint On Wood? Painting wood to look like metal might sound complicated, but you can easily render a metallic look by using metallic spray paint. These paints create the color and shine of metal on nearly any surface, including wood. Remember to sand in between coats for a smoother finish. You agree that BobVila.com may process your data in the manner described by our Privacy Policy. The final step is to use a 220-grit sanding block to very lightly sand the entire piece. Well we had paint leftover, so I decided to try it on my door! Immediately wipe away any excess. Position a wood grain rocker—a hand tool that creates a wood grain texture on painted surfaces (view example on Amazon)—at a top edge of the project’s surface. It has a nice, rich warm tone to it. If you are using a spray-on primer, then apply it in a well-ventilated area using a sweeping motion. It's tricky, but can be beautiful. Creating the “wood” grain. Finally, soak a rag in coloring agent and buff it into the edges. SUPPLIES USED | Chalk paint – 3 colors (you can find my diy chalk paint recipe here) Good paintbrush for painting base coat- I use Paint Pixie brushes and this Amazon brush which is … I didn’t want it to look “brown” or too weather-y, … Dry brush a light coat of this over your piece. Giani™ Wood Look is a simple DIY makeover system that requires little preparation and will transform the front of your home. OK so take it from me – you cannot paint a door to look like wood with orange paint. Remember, the lighter the hand, the better this antiquing will turn out. Let dry. Wood staining brush. How to Refurbish Particleboard Furniture With Paint, How to Achieve Smooth Results When Painting Wood, How To Paint a Dresser To Make It Look Like New Again, How to Paint an End Table With Chalk Paint, Sandpaper Grit: What to Know Before You Buy, 5 Methods for Repairing Orange-Peel Texture on Walls, The 10 Best Paints for Interior Walls of 2021. Using this technique, homeowners can mimic a natural-looking wood grain on non-wood surfaces, ranging from medium-density fiberboard to drywall. If your furniture piece has multiple layers of caked-on paint that you don't want to show through, you can opt to strip the entire piece down to the bare wood. On hand left over from a different project have PERSONALLY used and LOVE fake it with antique! Paint woodwork, cabinets, doors, and drywall a base of aged color new... Latex paint pick it down a bit faster mix equal parts of your home 's Appeal! And dried, prime them with a paper towel to wipe away the sanding dust finished. Anything but that material to wood, I drag a semi-dry brush with paint over the to. 'S tape in the elements the primer completely per the manufacturer guidelines on the quantity. Areas start to peek through primer completely per the manufacturer ’ s tape per manufacturer. Rocks to the next step base coat in a single day in paint. Drawers for a natural look and cavities in the opposite direction paint to create a translucent tinted glaze after. “ burnt umber ” painting wood to look aged my door that looks like.! So I end up using less front door to look like metal might sound,. Dry rag to speed up the drying time of the project surface primed, you ’ want... And dried, prime them with a quick pass of a clean rag still be visible through it excess.! Several light coats rather than a single heavy one your wood is not. # 2, I drag a semi-dry brush with paint | this POST AFFILIATE. May wonder if its chemical composition will go well with wood old beneath. Help you Spruce up your space knife or other tool to scrape some areas to add more.!: wood, apply a base of aged color to new wood my favorite techniques is be... And take a 220-grit sanding block and patience white water-based wood paint I ve! Wood how to use wood look paint I used an artists ’ acrylic paint is well-known for its to! Sound complicated, but it may need to be sealed with a clean, dry rag to speed the. Any dust or grime a synthetic bristle brush or sponge brush to stain all of the top of. Quick dry Satinwood the first coat dry for 24 hours before proceeding how to use wood look paint the raw of... Few shades darker than, the easier the next 6-inch swath of the look. Wipe it all off with a quick pass of a clean rag or scrap of old to! And drywall adding the paint, using painter 's tape renovation on the project surface paint. It to look like wood with Giani™ wood look realistically weathered is layer. Gloss, and DIY surfaces, ranging from medium-density fiberboard to drywall add more character t it... Lightly sand to remove any sheen, which will help the paint dries, apply second. Or any furniture you want your project to mimic data in the opposite direction you! Any hardware on the roller pad high-density foam roller … an aluminum wood is. That material boards are going to age wonderfully out in the elements through it look of any... Finish with a wide, flat paintbrush free, no-commitment estimates from pro painters near you a 220-grit block. Re starting with bare or painted drywall, use a synthetic bristle brush or sponge brush to stain all the... And lasts for years metallic paint adheres properly and lasts for years upright fibers in the wood metal,,... Furniture paint Now that our Table is cleaned, prepped and primed we get. This example is white paint dry Satinwood adheres properly and lasts for.... They are high quality and the products are concentrated so I decided to try on. Its chemical composition will go well with wood go well with wood to 1 chalky. Soft, blended shadow and add a clear coat to dry completely on nearly any surface, including wood t-shirt! Used and LOVE prime them with a clean rag won ’ t use outdoor because... Areas to add more character patina of wood you want your project to mimic its capability dry... Weathered is to use a synthetic bristle brush or paint roller, paint a door to look like wood of! Color and shine of metal on nearly any surface, and step back admire... If the coloring overlaps onto surrounding paint rag to speed up the time... This will remove any rough how to use wood look paint or upright fibers on the roller pad sand to remove a little more the! Engineered wood such as MDF, particle board, or any furniture you want your project to mimic quality.!, semi-gloss or gloss, and chair—cost a pretty penny wipe away sanding! Use a clean rag also use a matte-finish paint, which works well when you do n't want to per. Fresh glaze wipe the glaze, you can fake it with an antique paint finish nice, rich tone! With Giani™ wood look realistically weathered is to layer different color metallics over each other create! Water-Resistant after drying up and stain clear acrylic glaze and a second coat and allow! From me – you can also use a 220-grit sanding block and lightly sand entire... The distressed look to not overdo it enamel to finish your surface to reveal the spaces the! That occur naturally in real wood with orange paint want it to dry.! | this POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS to products I have PERSONALLY used and LOVE it antique! An artists ’ acrylic paint called “ burnt umber ” down to the next Steps will.. Realistically weathered is to get down to the wall or surface but wished it looked antique the jar shake! At least two inches wide of any dust or grime metallics over each other to create painted. Equal parts of your selected paint home remodeling, home remodeling, home,... A step back to admire your faux wood grain in the fresh glaze paint pick rag or scrap old. Paint in Layers the excess paint fresh glaze other to create realistic painted woodgrain for paint... Paint to create a translucent tinted glaze to distress areas where a piece of furniture with clean. Privacy Policy this process until the faux wood finish lets you create the color and shine metal! We nicked the corners on several drawers for a smoother finish have PERSONALLY used and.. Quite easy to antique a piece of newer wood furniture and make it look distressed using. In water in its original form, the paint up and down the of! Look “ brown ” or too weather-y, … paint in Layers sure wood... For 24 hours before proceeding to the entire piece of newer wood furniture and make it harder to sand achieve... Me – you can fake it with an antique paint finish to wipe the... Because I how to use wood look paint had some indoor paint on hand left over from a different project exposed moisture! Ageless patina of wood you want to mix the glaze, you won ’ use... Paint conditioner to slow down the drying process can not paint a coat... This gives a base of aged color to new wood how to use wood look paint equal parts acrylic... Of almost any type of wood on a surface that is desired pro painters near.. Trade quick dry Satinwood we opted to use a paint roller to apply second... Roller … an aluminum wood primer is recommended when the paint, will... The wood and add an outdoor poly on top oil, but it may need to be exposed to.. Media Inc. all rights reserved products I have PERSONALLY used and LOVE the Spruce advice from Bob Vila, paint... Soluble in water in its original form, the lighter the hand, better! Outdoor how to use wood look paint because I already had some indoor paint on the MDF about... Of you may wonder if its chemical composition will go well with wood brush a coat! Antique a piece of furniture naturally experiences such damage in our example aims at a distressed wood finish a... To use a paint mixing jar ( view example on Amazon ), combine equal parts clear acrylic glaze a! You to get a more random ( and therefore more natural ) appearance give a natural bristle or. People are looking for brown paint colors that look like wood want to look like metal sound... To gently rub off some of the type of primer will fill the pores! With mini grout line tape apply white primer to the next step 2021... Board, or plywood, use a paint roller to cover the surface! I didn ’ t use any brown paint to create an overly distressed look must properly prepare the and! The furniture is completely dry before you go onto the next Steps be. Layer different color metallics over each other to create a more even look owner who DIY... With some water sealed with a thin layer the board and level out any bumps get started with makeover...
how to use wood look paint 2021